Thursday, May 24, 2012

Brightness Control for My HP Pavilion System enabled finally

Never knew that the problem that haunted me for years would be related to something I never ever had thought at. Being a software engineer based in Nepal, Loadshedding problem is very common for me. Long hours of loadshedding demands you to have support for longer battery life. Controlling brightness of monitor is very important to prolong battery life. I have HP Pavillion Dv3 system which I bought two years ago. My first step after buying was to install Ubuntu by replacing Vista which accompanied with it. But, I noticed immediately afterwards that ubuntu was not supporting changing screen brightness. After searching for solution I found it out as a general problem. But, I was not able to solve it even after trying various means. I tried this for every time I updated my ubuntu to a newer version till now (12.04).

So, if you also face from same problem, Here are the steps you need to do to fix it. It is related to grub. So, here are the steps
  1. gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
  2. Change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX from "” to "acpi_osi=Linux"
  3. Change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT from (”” or "quiet splash") to “quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor”
  4. Close gedit
  5. run sudo update-grub
  6. reboot your system
I got it working after doing (I couldn't believe it did!!) and here are the links that gave me that solution. Hope it worked for you too. 
http://livinginjava.blogspot.de/2010/11/ubuntu-1010-brightness-problem-in-acer.html
http://askubuntu.com/questions/139796/cannot-adjust-brightness-on-my-packard-bell-easynote-ts11hr-127ge-laptop

No comments:

Post a Comment